An association is hereby established under the name of Waveney & Blyth Arts.
2. Aims and objectives
The aims of Waveney & Blyth Arts are to strengthen the cultural identity of the Waveney and Blyth valleys, and increase and broaden the impact of the arts in the enrichment of individuals’ lives, the strengthening of communities, and the improvement of the places where people live, now and for future generations.
It will achieve this by :
- being a forum and network for members of arts organisations and individual artists
- encouraging greater enjoyment of the Waveney & Blyth arts offer
- maximising the contribution that the arts can make to the Waveney and Blyth valleys economy
- improving access to the arts for children, young people and adults of all ages and abilities and giving them the chance to develop their talents and enjoy the benefits of participation
- promoting greater interest in, and access to, arts related issues and information.
- aiding communication between arts practitioners, arts organisations, local government, and regional and national bodies.
- promoting the role of the arts in the cultural, social, educational, environmental, and economic life of the Waveney and Blyth valleys
- collectively sharing information and advice on arts matters of national, regional and local significance
This shall be achieved through a member-led association, under the powers listed below.
In order to further its aims Waveney & Blyth Arts shall have the power to –
- Organise and promote events and activities including performances, screenings, exhibitions, meetings, workshops, lectures, classes, seminars and courses, plus any other event deemed appropriate;
- Provide information to members through web-based and actual mail-outs;
- Disseminate members’ information and marketing materials
- Employ or pay persons to carry out the powers of Waveney & Blyth Arts;
- Raise funds, and invite and receive contributions by way of membership subscriptions, donations, grants and by any other means to further the aims of Waveney & Blyth Arts;
- Facilitate networking opportunities for its members;
- Take any other lawful action that may be necessary to achieve the aims of Waveney & Blyth Arts.
a) Full Membership shall be open to any individual living or working in the area and subscribing to the aims of Waveney & Blyth Arts on completion of a membership form and payment of an annual membership fee, if any, set by the Management Committee.
b) Associate Membership shall be open to any group or organisation subscribing to the aims of Waveney & Blyth Arts and wishing to have Associate status in order to benefit its own membership. Associate Membership will be established on submission of a completed Associate Membership form and payment of an annual membership fee, if any, set by the Management Committee.
c) Each Full Member and Associate Member shall have the right to attend and vote at the Annual General Meeting (hereafter called “the AGM”). Associate Members shall have the right to one vote only per group or organisation.
d) Membership shall run, each year, from 1st January to 31st December, and the level of subscription fee, if any, will be set in advance at the AGM on a proposal from the Management Committee
e) Membership shall bestow certain privileges, to be determined by the Management Committee.
f) The Members may elect non-voting Honorary Members, a non-voting President or non-voting Patrons who would be invited to attend the AGM.
5. Management Committee:
a) The affairs of the organisation shall be managed by a Management Committee (hereafter called “the Committee”) comprising no fewer than 10 and no more than 20 members, who shall meet at regular intervals.
b) The Committee shall include a Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, Secretary, Membership Secretary, 8 Local Co-ordinators, 8 Substitute Local Co-ordinators, and the Chairs of any Sub-committees, provided that the total number of voting members does not exceed 20.
c) The Local Co-ordinators shall have one vote each. If a Local Co-ordinator is not present and his/her place is taken by their Substitute Local Co-ordinator, the Substitute Local Co-ordinator shall have one vote. Substitute Local Co-ordinators may attend meetings with their Local Co-ordinator but if they do so it will be in a non voting capacity.
d) The Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, Secretary, Membership Secretary and the Chairs of any Sub-committees shall have one vote each, If any of these are also Local Co-ordinators or Substitute Local Co-ordinators, however, they will only have one vote. In any event, the total number of voting members shall not exceed 20.
e) A member of the Committee shall also take on the responsibility to act as Child Protection/Vulnerable Adults Officer.
f) In addition, the Committee may invite observers from relevant Local Authorities or other organisations to attend Committee meetings on a one-off or longer term basis. Observer status shall be reviewed on an annual basis.
g) The Committee shall be elected for one year at an AGM, and members may be re-elected in subsequent years. During the year new committee members may be co-opted by the Committee to fill vacancies until the following AGM, and may then stand for election at the AGM.
h) The Committee may co-opt non-voting Members, if appropriate.
i) The Committee’s decisions shall be taken on the basis of a simple majority vote, with the Chair having an additional casting vote in the event of a tied vote.
j) A quorum shall be at least 6 of the current voting members of the Committee.
k) The Committee may appoint sub-committees from the Committee or Membership as and when necessary, which shall report back to it.
l) A member of the Committee shall cease to hold office if he or she resigns by giving one week’s notice in writing, becomes incapable of managing his or her affairs, or is absent from 3 consecutive Committee meetings without good reason.
a) The financial year of Waveney & Blyth Arts shall run from 1st April to 31st March.
b) The financial affairs of Waveney & Blyth Arts shall be in the hands of the Treasurer, who shall
- Keep accurate accounts of the finances and report on them at Committee meetings and at the AGM;
- Open and maintain a bank account in the name of Waveney & Blyth Arts, requiring at least two out of three authorised signatories for each cheque;
- Draw up, in consultation with the Committee, a proposal for the budget for the following year;
- Draw up, in consultation with the Committee, a proposal regarding the level of membership fee for the following year, which shall be presented to the membership at the AGM
7. Annual General Meeting:
a) Each year an AGM shall be held, with at least 21 days’ written notice given to all members. The interval from one AGM to the next may not be more than 15 months.
b) The Agenda for the AGM shall include the following items:
- To elect the Committee
- To receive and adopt the annual accounts
- To receive an outline business plan for the following year
- To decide on the level of membership fee for the following year, based on a proposal from the Committee
- To consider any proposal to alter the Constitution, which may be requested in writing by any paid-up Member of Waveney & Blyth Arts, provided it reaches the Chair at least 10 days before the AGM.
c) All motions shall be passed by a simple majority of the votes cast by the Members present. A quorum shall be 21 Full Members.
d) The President or a Patron (if any) or the Chair of the Committee shall preside at the AGM. In the absence of all of these, the Members shall elect a Chair for the meeting.
e) Nominations for the Committee must be made in writing, subject to the nominee’s agreement, and submitted to the Secretary no less than 10 days before the meeting.
f) Payment or benefits – Expenses or other costs incurred may be reimbursed or paid to Members, Committee Members or others engaged to further the work of Waveney & Blyth Arts with the prior agreement of the Committee.
a) Waveney & Blyth Arts may be dissolved at an AGM or Extraordinary General Meeting convened for the purpose. The motion must be agreed by at least three-quarters of Full Members and/or Associate Members nominated representatives present and voting.
b) If the meeting agrees to dissolve or wind up the association any surplus funds held in any bank or building society account, or any assets shall be handed over to another group or groups having objectives similar to the aims of Waveney & Blyth Arts.
This constitution was adopted on 6 November 2010 and last amended December 2015.