An exciting new exhibition space has opened in Lowestoft, with a group pf local artists taking over an empty retail unit in the Britten Centre in the middle of the town, for six weeks in April/May.
The exhibition features work by 12 Easterly Artists members, all of whom live or work in Lowestoft and the surrounding area. It covers a wide range of media and disciplines, including painting, print-making, collography, screen-printing, artistic wood-turning, ceramics, magical realism and sculptural assemblages using found objects.
Easterly Artists Co-ordinator Miles Barry commented: “This is an excellent opportunity for the people of Lowestoft to view pieces by well-established and internationally recognised artists, alongside work by new and upcoming members. All the exhibitors are local to Lowestoft or nearby, so it’s a great chance to showcase some of the extraordinary skill and talent we have in the town to a wider audience”.
Dan Poitras, Britten Centre Manager and Chairman of Lowestoft Vision, added: “It’s a pleasure to welcome this new venture by Easterly Artists into the Britten Centre. This is part of a long-term project to revitalise the high street and, as such, it will bring new life and energy to Lowestoft and give visitors another compelling reason to visit the town centre.”
The exhibition is open Thursday to Saturday, 11am-4pm and runs till 31 May. Entry is free. For more information, check the Easterly Artists website at www.easterly.org.uk; you can also follow Easterly Artists on Facebook and Instagram.
Unit 22 can be found immediately on visitors’ left, as they exit the Britten Centre underground car park on their way to Lowestoft High Street. Alternatively, park in Clapham Road car park: Unit 22 is on the right, past Lowestoft Library.
Artists exhibiting are:
- Angelique Fraser-Mackenzie – Abstract artist (Henham)
- Darren Breeze – Artistic wood turner (Lowestoft)
- Fiona Shreeve – Sculptural ceramics (Somerleyton)
- Hilary Barry – Oil paintings: landscape and portraits (Kessingland)
- Hugh Davies – Print-maker (Lowestoft)
- Lisa Hurcum – Print-maker (Lowestoft)
- Mark Burrell – Magical Realism paintings (Lowestoft)
- Miriam King – Painter (Lowestoft)
- Neil Whitehead – Screen-printing and painting (Halesworth)
- Ni Gooding – Screen-printing and painting (Brampton)
- Nina Roffey – Sculpture assemblages, collages and paintings (Beccles)
- Peter Rodulfo – Magical Realism paintings (Great Yarmouth)